THE FOUR CONVERSATIONS: Daily Communication that Gets Results
by Jeffrey Ford and Laurie Ford
AWARDED #1 BEST BOOK IN MANAGEMENT by 800 CEO-READ
Rated #5 BEST BUSINESS BOOK by Toronto’s The Globe and Mail
Talk is powerful. Engaging in the right conversation at the right time is key to both personal and organizational success. And it’s not just ‘difficult’ or ‘crucial’ conversations that matter. The Four Conversations is a book (and now it’s also an online program too) that clearly demonstrates everyday dialogues needed for successful, satisfying, and productive relationships. In this book you will:
- Discover how even little changes in the way you talk can produce extraordinarily positive outcomes,
- Learn to get maximum results from four types of everyday conversations, and
- Explore ways to put these four conversations into practice using sample dialogues and personal stories.
Armed with a solid body of research plus their own first-hand observations, Jeffrey and Laurie Ford describe four types of conversations that each of us can use to get things done: Initiative Conversations to introduce something new; Understanding Conversations to engage people in new ideas or processes; Performance Conversations to support commitment for taking specific actions and producing specific results; and Closure Conversations that complete the past and create a sense of accomplishment for yourself and others. Learn about the specific ingredients that make each of these conversations useful and effective — and see how the conversations can be put together in different ways to achieve different objectives.
“The Four Conversations” demonstrates how to use the right conversation at the right time — planning and starting each one well, and finishing conversations effectively — to improve the productivity we need while strengthening the value and connection that people want and deserve. Through dozens of personal stories and sample dialogues, the authors illustrate how real people in real situations have used the four conversations to effectively address common workplace problems and lay the foundations for enduring success: better relationships, stronger engagement in reaching goals, and an authentic sense of personal and professional achievement for everyone.
The Four Conversations Group Workplace Assessment – Available Online
The Group Workplace Assessments allow you see what the people in your workplace have to say about the quality and effectiveness of the work habits and communications they experience on a daily basis. You will also learn which of these common workplace issues are the most challenging for your group members:
- Lateness – People having to wait for work results, or wait for people to show up;
- Poor work quality – Tasks or processes are not well done, incomplete, or inaccurate;
- Difficult people – Some people being consistently hard to work with;
- Lack of teamwork – People not working together or helping each other;
- Poor planning and workload overwhelm – Too much work to do in too little time;
- Insufficient resources and support – Not having what’s needed to do the work properly;
- Lack of accountability – People not “owning” their jobs or honoring their agreements; and
- Incomplete conversations – Problems and projects lingering without resolution.
Learn more here.
Listen to a Podcast with Jeffrey Ford, co-author of The Four Conversations:
Todd Sattersten, CEO of 800-CEO-READ, interviewed Jeffrey about The Four Conversations. Click here to listen to that interview.